How can I become professionally registered if I don't have a degree in horticultural therapy?

AHTA offers an alternative route to professional registration that requires a bachelor's degree, a combination of coursework in human sciences and plant sciences and sciences, and coursework in horticultural therapy. A complete description of the requirements is in the AHTA Professional Registration Policy and Procedures.

Must I complete a horticultural therapy internship to qualify for professional registration?

Yes. In addition to the educational requirements, you must complete an internship in horticultural therapy with a minimum of 480 hours, supervised by a registered horticultural therapist at the HTR or HTM level. A work experience option may be considered in fulfillment of an internship if an applicant meets the criteria. For complete information about the internship requirement, review the AHTA Horticultural Therapy Internship Handbook and Professional Registration Policies and Procedures page. 

How long does it take to process an application and render a decision?

Usually 8-10 weeks. Once the AHTA Office receives an application and all required documents, including official transcripts, it is processed and forwarded to the Review Board. The applicant receives notice that it has been processed. The applicant will hear from AHTA once a decision has been made. 

Do I need to send transcripts from every college that I attended?

Yes, transcripts from all colleges/universities must be included even if the credits were transferred into the college you graduated from. The only guarantee that all your coursework will be reviewed is to make sure every transcript is submitted with your application. 

I attended an educational institution that was on a quarter system as opposed to a semester system, can I still use those credits?

Yes, BUT, you must convert those quarter credits to the equivalent semester credits. You may find that you may need additional courses to fulfill the total credit hour or content requirement in each subject area. Reference the quarter hour to semester hour conversion table to convert your credits.

Does AHTA accept college credit granted for work and/or life experience?

Yes, however, only courses selected from the core curriculum effective October 1, 2013, will be accepted. An official transcript documenting academic credit must be from an accredited degree-granting academic institution in the United States. Please refer to Credit for Work/Life Experience for more information about this option.

Can I take horticultural therapy certificate courses anywhere as long as they are for college credit?

No. All horticultural therapy coursework completed as part of a certificate must be taken from an AHTA accredited certificate program.

What is the process if I wish to submit alternative coursework for evaluation?

Courses submitted for consideration as equivalent to the core course topic areas listed in the AHTA Professional Registration Policies and Procedures must be accompanied by a course description or syllabus. The course would be listed as a 'substitute course' on the application and all supporting documentation should be submitted along with the application. 

Can I submit my application before I've completed all my coursework or my internship?

No, your application will not be processed until all required documentation has been submitted.

If my request for registration status is denied, do I have the opportunity to reapply?

Yes. If your request for registration is denied, you will receive a letter detailing the reason(s) for denial. You will have a period of one year during which you may submit an addendum to your application along with the appropriate documentation. If you wish to appeal the decision, you have thirty (30) days within which to notify the AHTA office in writing.

Are the HTA and HTM registration levels still available?

No. These designations were once options to HTR registration but have been discontinued. Horticultural therapy professionals who achieved these levels of registration should continue to use the respective credential, but registration at the HTM or HTA level is no longer offered.

Is a pass/fail option acceptable for required courses?

Yes, if academic credit is granted and a transcript from an accredited institution is provided.

I started working towards professional registration several years ago and then the core curriculum changed on October 1, 2013. Do I need to start all over again?

No. If six (6) or more of the core courses were taken before October 1, 2013, you will be reviewed under the Option B course requirements that were effective October 2008 to October 2013. AHTA strongly recommends and encourages you to take the remaining two (2) courses from the new required coursework list.

If all coursework was taken before October 1, 2013, you will be reviewed under the requirements in place from October 2008 to October 2013. If you need a copy of the professional registration requirements in effect before October 1, 2013, please contact the AHTA office at 206-209-5296, to request a copy.

For a comprehensive overview of the Professional Registration policies and procedures, refer to the AHTA Professional  Registration Policies and Procedures.

For a list of course titles that support the core curriculum topic areas, refer to the Course Titles that Support the AHTA Core Curriculum Topic Areas list.